MIA
My apologies to anyone who's stumbled onto this site in the past three months only to discover no activity. Personal life, two high-volume jobs for Christmas, and changing apts is a good recipe for making life interesting. Sorry I haven't been posting, I'll chalk it all up to car trouble.
The good news is that I've brought my digital studio 95% up to speed; I still need to tweak the printer calibrations a wee bit (Green is the New Blue!), but other than that it's fully functional. I'm thinking of redubbing it "the brain" due to its sprawlingly monstrous nature; it's a Mac mini which thrives on peripherals and, in my opinion, it's begining to resemble the small mainframe from the film "Pi." So far I've got the usual computer components, an A/V route to a hi-fi component stereo system, a 160 GB external hard-drive, a Yamaha MIDI keyboard, USB hub, and two printers (one text, one img). It takes up about 1/5 of my studio. One quarter if we count the guitar eq. I'm saving up some cash, the next major expenditures will be for an analog-firewire digital sound converter and a bigger printer.
I'm working on small acrylics at home since my studio is so far away and the medium is so easy to clean up. Nothing yet, it's been too long since the last time I made any strides with painting so, as I told a former professor friend of mine, I'm resolved to making pretty colors for the time being. I'm looking for a method of painting that's cheap and easily transportable. So far I've got a portable easel, a briefcase full of acrylic, and about 10 or so small metal plates to which I'm affixing cheap paper. The results thus far have been "splendidly unsubstantial."
Large work continues to be on temporary haitus due to the changing winds in my apt, I plan on getting serious with it again really soon. In the meantime, I've been living life and manifesting content like a bastard.
In other news, I ran up to NYC to see the Van Gogh and Fra Angelico shows before they came down. Van Gogh was well worth the trip by itself. Few people, if anyone, had ever really talked about his drawings to me before, and as one of the pre-eminent modernists he's easy to pass off these days as "over-rated" and "irrelevant" by the Sculptural post-modern authorities. I say not so, his method of working is amazing and I had never known or made the connection between his work and Japanese sumi-e drawing before - and now it's unmistakable. I also was very satisfied with Van Gogh's painting medium that was on display in selected works; an extremely fluid and plastic dynamic which I really respond to in an oil paint, I think his paintings take on an amazing, almost ceramic like quality in real-life - especially in the whites. Fra Angelico was also a splendid surprise and there's a certain magic within his gold leaf and egg temperas that can't be realized in reproduction. I would very much like to know how he made his halos, they're almost certainly stamped but it's not entirely clear to me. I wish I could say more but it was simply a day-trip and let's just say that I shouldn't be traveling alone in NY without a map just yet - I think they moved E Broadway and Market streets while I was away and thank God for the ubiquity of random China-bus travellers when you need them.
The good news is that I've brought my digital studio 95% up to speed; I still need to tweak the printer calibrations a wee bit (Green is the New Blue!), but other than that it's fully functional. I'm thinking of redubbing it "the brain" due to its sprawlingly monstrous nature; it's a Mac mini which thrives on peripherals and, in my opinion, it's begining to resemble the small mainframe from the film "Pi." So far I've got the usual computer components, an A/V route to a hi-fi component stereo system, a 160 GB external hard-drive, a Yamaha MIDI keyboard, USB hub, and two printers (one text, one img). It takes up about 1/5 of my studio. One quarter if we count the guitar eq. I'm saving up some cash, the next major expenditures will be for an analog-firewire digital sound converter and a bigger printer.
I'm working on small acrylics at home since my studio is so far away and the medium is so easy to clean up. Nothing yet, it's been too long since the last time I made any strides with painting so, as I told a former professor friend of mine, I'm resolved to making pretty colors for the time being. I'm looking for a method of painting that's cheap and easily transportable. So far I've got a portable easel, a briefcase full of acrylic, and about 10 or so small metal plates to which I'm affixing cheap paper. The results thus far have been "splendidly unsubstantial."
Large work continues to be on temporary haitus due to the changing winds in my apt, I plan on getting serious with it again really soon. In the meantime, I've been living life and manifesting content like a bastard.
In other news, I ran up to NYC to see the Van Gogh and Fra Angelico shows before they came down. Van Gogh was well worth the trip by itself. Few people, if anyone, had ever really talked about his drawings to me before, and as one of the pre-eminent modernists he's easy to pass off these days as "over-rated" and "irrelevant" by the Sculptural post-modern authorities. I say not so, his method of working is amazing and I had never known or made the connection between his work and Japanese sumi-e drawing before - and now it's unmistakable. I also was very satisfied with Van Gogh's painting medium that was on display in selected works; an extremely fluid and plastic dynamic which I really respond to in an oil paint, I think his paintings take on an amazing, almost ceramic like quality in real-life - especially in the whites. Fra Angelico was also a splendid surprise and there's a certain magic within his gold leaf and egg temperas that can't be realized in reproduction. I would very much like to know how he made his halos, they're almost certainly stamped but it's not entirely clear to me. I wish I could say more but it was simply a day-trip and let's just say that I shouldn't be traveling alone in NY without a map just yet - I think they moved E Broadway and Market streets while I was away and thank God for the ubiquity of random China-bus travellers when you need them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home