First Friday and points beyond...
I got to roam about First Friday the other night. It happened to be one of the single most eventful nights on the walk to date after resolving quite a few issues going on in my life. One of which was a run-in with Tom Adair, after I caught a glimpse of his entry into this year's Think Small show.
We talked a lot, starting off with me asking "Do you really think so..? The progression goes 'Da Vinci, Duchamp, (blank)?' Adair feels that there's a 5-century haitus between "truly great" artists, which should come as a relief to the rest of us because we get to relax for another 400 years. I had to challenge him about the merits of Picasso and the Impressionists, all of which left him unphased and declared as "Formalists"... something I found striking for a guy who gives his students a single sheet of paper for the semester upon which they hone their techniques. I don't really use Duchamp, but I understand his influence. At any rate, we got on the subject of grad school. I told him that I was in a bit of a wreck because now's supposedly the time to go 'round checking them out, according to the word around the campfire, yet I've been in an interview process for a IS company that would allow me to travel greatly abroad-- travel is something that I really want to do with life. Adair, on top of every else, says go, and I really like that advice. Sometimes I have no idea what to make out of life, I just remember what my uncle said to me: "When someone gives you an opportunity, any opportunity, you take it."
We talked a lot, starting off with me asking "Do you really think so..? The progression goes 'Da Vinci, Duchamp, (blank)?' Adair feels that there's a 5-century haitus between "truly great" artists, which should come as a relief to the rest of us because we get to relax for another 400 years. I had to challenge him about the merits of Picasso and the Impressionists, all of which left him unphased and declared as "Formalists"... something I found striking for a guy who gives his students a single sheet of paper for the semester upon which they hone their techniques. I don't really use Duchamp, but I understand his influence. At any rate, we got on the subject of grad school. I told him that I was in a bit of a wreck because now's supposedly the time to go 'round checking them out, according to the word around the campfire, yet I've been in an interview process for a IS company that would allow me to travel greatly abroad-- travel is something that I really want to do with life. Adair, on top of every else, says go, and I really like that advice. Sometimes I have no idea what to make out of life, I just remember what my uncle said to me: "When someone gives you an opportunity, any opportunity, you take it."

<< Home