Life = Art. Art = Commodity. Life = Commodity.
Lots of discussions nearby revolving around the state of the Artworld this week.
Slate.com has begun a wonderful series of letters between Slate critic Steven Metcalf and NYTimes critic Michael Kimmelman, author of The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa.
Anaba blogger Martin Bromirski posts his reaction to Sheri L. Pasquarella's blog on "making it" in the art-world, essentially echoing the sentiment that Chelsea is a Disneyland for rich people. I'm curious what happens when mentalities such as that run into articles such as this. Personally, I don't think any of it really should concern artists to the degree that it does these days. Too much market-watching and not enough art-making makes a person become dishonest with himself.
Slate.com has begun a wonderful series of letters between Slate critic Steven Metcalf and NYTimes critic Michael Kimmelman, author of The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa.
Anaba blogger Martin Bromirski posts his reaction to Sheri L. Pasquarella's blog on "making it" in the art-world, essentially echoing the sentiment that Chelsea is a Disneyland for rich people. I'm curious what happens when mentalities such as that run into articles such as this. Personally, I don't think any of it really should concern artists to the degree that it does these days. Too much market-watching and not enough art-making makes a person become dishonest with himself.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home